For the May 21st show, we talked about the legacy of Fiddling John Sharp Sr., and paid tribute to his second daughter Evelene, who passed away in 2016. We were joined by photographer and documentary filmmaker Rachel Boillot, who is featuring the Sharp family in an episode of a documentary series that will air on NPR. Rachel discussed her project and recollections of Evelene. You can learn more about that series at www.cumberlandfolklife.com.
The show was recorded and will be available online until June 4th via the WDVX archives. Selections broadcast included:
- Sharp’s Hornpipe (John Sharp Sr. on fiddle)
- Three Way Hornpipe (John Sharp Sr. on fiddle)
- Sally Johnson (John Sharp & Evelene from the Cumberland Trail archives)
- German Blues (Evelene)
- Five Miles Out of Town (John Sharp Sr. on fiddle)
- I Don’t Love Nobody (Evelene)
- Sittin’ On Top of the World (Evelene)
The Cumberland Trail on WDVX is a weekly program of music connected to the Cumberland Trail and the Cumberland Plateau. It airs Sunday evenings at 8:30pm. WDVX broadcasts on 89.9 FM in Clinton, 102.9 FM in Knoxville and 93.9 FM Seymour/Kodak. You can also listen live online at WDVX.com.